Kanolu People 2 Update:
The removal of Kanolu People 2 claim overlap, from GNP native title claim
came into effect on the 10 June 2014 with the stamping of the Federal Court Order and signed by Justice
Rangiah on the 10 June 2014.
Wadja People Update:
the Wadja overlap has been removed from the GNP claim. On the 16 July 2014 the Wadja Form 1 was filed amending their claim boundy and removing the overlap. On the 17
July 2014 the Federal Court Order amending Wadja Form 1 to allow the removal of the overlap was issued.
Bidjara People # 7
Bidjara People # 7 claim remains as an operlap on the GNP claim and are before the court on other matters.
Mary Ann Crooke Inquiry Update:
- The Court directs
the National Native Title Tribunal (NNTT) to conduct an inquiry as to "Whether Mary Ann Crook and her descendants should be included in the group description of the Native Title Determination Application of the Gaangalu Nation People.
2 December 2013 the Applicants (GNP), Shirley Anderson and Trevor Lamb exchange interim connection material.
There were 3 NNTT hearings;
- 12/13 December 2013, held in Rockhampton
- 24 Feburary 2014, held in Brisbane
- 4 April 2014, held in Brisbane
- 12 August 2014, GNP withdrew from the inquiry
- 14 December 2014, President Webb released
the NNTT report
The report remains a confidential document. Through GNP legal represenatives the Federal Court have been advised that GNP rejects the recomendation of the NNTT report.
Court Ordered Mediation
July 2015: this matter was referred to the Deputy Registrar for mediation.
25 August 2015: court managed mediation meeting held in Brisbane.
17 October 2015: court managed mediation meeting held
At the mediation meeting held on the 17 October 2015 in Rockhampton, a process was agreed to for moving forward on this issue by the GNP Applicant and the respondents.
Next Court Direction Hearing
Directions Hearing; Justice Rangiah in the Frederal Court Australia; Brisbane:
The out come from the Direction is the GNP
Claim has been place into Case Management before DDR Fewings. The Queensland Government, Wadja Claim and the Western Kangoulu Claim have also been placed in Case Management before DDR Fewings. The Court Order states:
- This proceeding be referred to a Deputy Registrar for case management.
- The matter be listed for a directions hearing on 16 June 2016 at 9.30am.
for the next direction hearing has been been reschedule for the 21 July 2016 in court room 5, level 7, Commonwealth Law Court Building, 119 North Quay, Brisbane.
21 July 2016
The GNP Native Title claim remains on foot. The State
have advised they will move to complete the assessment of GNP conection material by September 2016. You are able to view the Court Orders at the
Federal Court web site.
11 August 2017
At this time the GNP claim is in case mangement and on the 11 August 2017 court orders were issued to set programming orders on the 5 Oct 2017 at a case management hearing.
5 October 2017
Following the GNP case management hearing on the 5 October 2017
Trile Programming Orders were issued by Justice Rangiah. It is estimated that if we gto to trial it would b late 2018 or early 2019.
key date and requirement from the Applicant (GNP):
Connection material – Applicant
- On or before 18 May 2018, the Applicant must file a list of all the proposed witnesses (both expert and non-expert) upon
whose evidence the Applicant will rely upon for the Connection Issue and if any of the material to be relied upon is previously filed in the proceeding the date of filing of that material.
- On or before 1 June 2018, the Applicant must file:
- a signed statement of evidence or affidavit for any witness (other than expert witnesses) to be relied upon for which an affidavit has not previously been filed;
- a detailed outline of the evidence
proposed to be led from a witness (other than expert witnesses) orally; and
- a copy of each photograph or other document (appropriately captioned or described) which it proposes to tender or refer to in the evidence of any witness.
The next case management hearing for GNP is set down for the 28 August 2018.
Back to the top